(WBNG Binghamton) Price Chopper will host its fourth annual “Family Mealtimes Matter” outreach on Thursday, Oct. 11 and Saturday, Oct. 13 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. throughout the Capital Region and New York State.
According to a news release:
A collaborative initiative of Price Chopper, Cornell Cooperative Extension and Eat Smart New York!, the kickoff events will feature registered dietitians and nutrition educators that will inspire shoppers to make a commitment to quality family time based on healthy, budget-conscious meals.
“Price Chopper is committed to helping people in our communities feed and care for their families,” said Mona Golub, vice president of public relations and consumer & marketing services. “We know that children who eat with their families do better in school, learn better eating habits and are less likely to develop eating disorders. We’re doing all we can to help make it easy and fun for families to share mealtime.”
The Family Mealtimes Matter encourages families to spend the next four weeks making mealtimes better together and to set a goal of increasing the number of meals they have together as a family. To help alleviate the stress that often comes with planning family meals, Price Chopper and Cooperative Extension offer the following tips:
• Keep a list. Write down some quick, easy family meals and have the ingredients on hand.
• Plan it out. Who will be home when? Which meals will need to be quick?
• Cook once, eat twice. Cut up fruits and vegetables for snacks and meals when preparing a meal. Cook doubles on the weekend to use later that week or to freeze for another time.
• Save time and energy. Use the crockpot, microwave and toaster oven to save time and energy costs on meal preparation.
• Relax and enjoy. Focus on the meal and each other. Turn off the television and take phone calls later. Talk about fun things and don’t force a child to eat.
Participating Price Choppers include:
Albany County: 1892 Central Ave, Colonie
1395 New Scotland Ave, Slingerlands
Broome County: 33 Chenango Bridge Rd, Binghamton
Chenango County: 5631 State Highway 12, Norwich
Columbia County: 351 Fairview Ave, Hudson
Fulton County: 358, North Main St, Gloversville
Greene County: 320 West Bridge St, Catskill
Madison County: 142 Genesee St, Oneida
Montgomery County: 141 Sanford Farms Plaza (Rte. 30), Amsterdam
Onondaga County: 2515 Erie Blvd, Syracuse
Otsego County: 1 Main Street, Richfield Springs
1000 Main Street, Oneonta
Rensselaer County: 79 Vandenburgh Place, Troy
Saratoga County: 115 Ballston Ave (Rte. 50), Saratoga
One Price Chopper Plaza, Mechanicville
Schenectady County: 1640 Eastern Parkway, Schenectady
442 Balltown Road, Schenectady
Schoharie County: 105 Plaza Lane, Cobleskill
Tioga County: 42 West Main St, Owego
Warren County: 84 Cooper St, Glens Falls
Washington County: 8648 State Route 22, Granville