Solid Waste & Garbage Info For Broome County

By Bryan Mercer

Solid Waste & Garbage Info For Broome County

September 16, 2011 Updated Sep 16, 2011 at 2:11 PM EDT

(WBNG Binghamton) Broome County provides information on disposal of both waste and hazardous materials.

• The Broome County Landfill will be operating from 6:30am until 4:30pm Monday through Saturday.
• All debris brought to the landfill should be separated into the following categories:
o Household Garbage
o Hazardous Materials
o Recyclables/Metals
o Flood Debris
o Electronic waste

Important Notes
• All residents WITHOUT INSURANCE must sign a FEMA waiver attesting that the debris is flood related and they do not have insurance.
• Waiver request forms will be provided by the Broome County Solid Waste to the municipalities.
• Large corporations with significant amounts of debris should contact the Division of Solid Waste directly at 778-2250.

DEC HHW & Electronics Drop-off Sites
*keep HHW & electronics separate from each other
Binghamton- 112 Barlow Rd., Department of Transportation (DOT) facility
Endicott/Endwell- Scarborough Drive off Main Street
Vestal- Corner of Vestal Rd & African Rd.
Owego- The old Owego Gravel pit, Rt 38, north of the Sheriff & Public Safety Complex
All sites open from 7am to 7pm

If unable to drop off at one of the above call EPA
Place HHW at the curbside. Keep it separate from all other debris and label it HHW.
Call the EPA at 1-888-283-7626 between 7am and 7pm Monday through Friday.
If necessary leave a message with your name and address.
Your address will be given to EPA contractors who will collect the HHW.

ADDITIONAL MATERIAL OUTLETS *this is not an all inclusive list

ICS Industries, Endicott- is accepting electronics for free from residents & businesses. Any resident that has a flood damaged CRT they will give them a working one when they bring in the damaged one. They will also shred the hard drive for free. Large quantities from businesses they will pick up at no cost. Contact number 757-0025.

Eco International, Vestal- is accepting electronics from residents & businesses for free. Contact number 321-2079.

Paper & Cardboard
ICS Industries, Endicott- is accepting paper and OCC for recycling. It does not matter if the material is wet. Contact number 757-0025.

Scrap Metal-
ICS Industries, Endicott- 757-0025.
Weitsman, Binghamton- 687-7777
Gary’s-U-Pull It, Binghamton-775-1900
Greenblott, Binghamton- 723-4666

The City of Binghamton also issued an update on post-flood Public Works issues:

Waste Collection

Crews continue to collect flood debris citywide on a daily basis.

If citizens can dispose of flood debris themselves, please do so. This will allow the City to collect the remaining debris faster.

There will be no yard waste collection until further notice. The City encourages citizens with yard waste to compost as much as they can. The City sells compost bins at-cost on the 2nd Floor of City Hall.

The regular garbage/recycling collection schedule is in effect.

The City reminds citizens to keep flood debris—and garbage/recycling—on the curb instead of on private property or in the street.

If you see a sinkhole that the City has not blocked off, please report it to Public Works Dispatch, 772-7020. Sinkholes can be a serious safety hazard, and the City is seeking to deal with them as quickly as possible.