Blaze Obliterates Couple's Cabin

By Brennan Smith

Blaze Obliterates Couple's Cabin

March 26, 2012 Updated Nov 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM EST

Town of Franklin, NY (WBNG Binghamton) High winds and a propane tank explosion challenged firefighters in Delaware County as they battled brush fires and a major house fire.

Investigators say it started by accident.

It started when the tray of a wood burning stove was taken outside.

Wind caught hold of hot ashes and the fire started on a deck outside of the home.

Crews and neighbors say nothing is left after fire ripped through what was once a beautiful log-cabin home on Rich Road in the Town of Franklin.

For the couple who lived there, it was the home they spent years building to enjoy their retirement.

Franklin and Oneonta Fire responded to a 911 call from a woman who was at home when the fire broke out.

When crews arrived, they say the first floor was on fire along with a car, and wind helped spread the fire quickly to engulf the entire house.

It took all of Franklin Fire's 42 volunteers and help from ten other departments put the fire.

"We used a pond that was up the road about a quarter of a mile and called in several tankers from neighboring departments and created a tanker shuttle. We were flowing anywhere between 700 and 800 gallons of water per minute," said Tom Worden, Chief of the Franklin Fire Department.

"I saw all of these flames up through the woods. I could see the flames, and all of a sudden, I just saw this huge ball of fire go up," said neighbor Bunnie Hand from the Town of Oneonta.

That ball of fire neighbors saw was an exploding propane tank used to heat the home.

No firefighters were hurt while fighting the fire.

They were able to leave the scene around 2:30 this afternoon.

The Red Cross is assisting the family who lived there.

They lost everything in the blaze.