Electrical Malfunction Causes 2-Alarm House Fire

By Cristina Frank

Electrical Malfunction Causes 2-Alarm House Fire

March 29, 2012 Updated Mar 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM EDT

Town of Colesville, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Broome County Fire Investigators say it was an electrical malfunction that sparked a house fire in Harpursville this morning.

It happened around 7:40 a.m. Thursday at 37 Maple Street in Harpursville.

It took crews about 20 minutes to put out the blaze.

No one was home at the time and there are no injuries.

Neighbors alerted emergency crews to the scene.

Heavy smoke was coming out of the attic and the second floor of the house.

Investigators found many electrical code violations that need to be corrected.

They say the building will be condemned by the town of Colesville Code Department.

Harpursville Fire along with West Colesville, Sanitaria Spring and Ouaquaga Fire Department responded.