House Fire Displaces Waverly Family

By Nicky Hickling

House Fire Displaces Waverly Family

February 17, 2011 Updated Feb 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM EDT

Waverly, NY (WBNG Binghamton) An early morning fire forced a Waverly family out of their home.

Wavery-Barton, Sayre, and Athens fire departments responded to 434 Loder Street in the village around 2 o'clock Thursday morning after being notified of a structure fire.

A family of five made it out safely, but the house was heavily damaged.

Fire Chief Don Howard says the fire was started by an electrical malfunction in the floor of the house and spread to the walls.

Howard says it is one of the most damaging fires he's seen in quite some time.

"This one here has a little more magnitude because it had a good head start on us, but we had a good stop," says Waverly-Barton Fire Chief Don Howard. "I commend everybody for doing a great job, the Sayre Fire Department, all of us normally work well together."

Howard says the home is most likely a total loss.

The family is currently being assisted by The American Red Cross.