Fire engulfs home, sends two to hospital (with photos)

By Chelsea Bishop

Fire engulfs home, sends two to hospital (with photos)

February 12, 2014 Updated Feb 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM EDT

Smithville, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Several fire departments responded Wednesday morning to a house fire that injured both people living there.

Several fire departments were dispatched just before 2 a.m. to 127 State Highway 220.

According to the Genegantslet Fire Company, Charles King, 71, and his 37-year-old grandson were living in the two-story home. They were inside when the wood stove started the fire.

The 37-year-old man jumped out of a second story window. King escaped out of the back of the house, according to fire Chief Robert Whitmore.

King was airlifted from the airport in Greene to Upstate Medical in Syracuse.

The other victim was taken to UHS Wilson Hospital for his injuries and then transferred to Upstate Medical.

The severity of their injuries is unknown.

Triangle, Greene, Oxford, and McDonough fire crews also responded, alongside New York State Police, Greene EMS and Broome Ambulance.

It took departments more than an hour to put out the fire. The fire spread to four vehicles in the driveway.

Below zero temperatures hindered the departments' response.

"The severe cold gave us trouble. Immediately hoses started freezing. When water supply trucks got there and it froze up. We had a major problem with water supply," said Whitmore, "The biggest problem was the fire was so advanced on us the whole house was ball of flames. We had no chances of stopping the fire."

A heated school bus was brought to the scene for firefighters to keep warm while fighting the fire.

The home is a total loss, according to firefighters.

The Chenango Fire Bureau determined the wood stove was the source of the fire.