Wood stove fire burns Deposit home to the ground (with photos)

By Erika Mahoney

November 30, 2013 Updated Nov 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM EST

Deposit, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A man is without his home after a fire in his wood stove grew out of control.

According to Deposit Fire Chief Sean Rynearson, crews responded to 2941 China Road around 3:30 a.m. Saturday.

"The homeowner woke up to a sound of the ceiling falling down," Rynearson said. "When he woke up he found the house was on fire."

Rynearson said the homeowner called 911 and ran to his cousin's home down the road.

When crews arrived on the scene, they were facing a fully involved structure fire. Seven departments responded to help.

The cold temperatures caused their water to freeze up at points and also made for tough conditions for the firefighters.

Around 4:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon, the fire rekindled.

The home, a farmhouse, is a total loss.

Rynearson said the Red Cross was called this morning to help the homeowner.

The wood stove was located in the kitchen.