CBS News: Possible suspect in bombings identified

By Suzanne Proulx

Credit: MGN Online/Twitter

CBS News: Possible suspect in bombings identified

April 17, 2013 Updated Apr 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM EDT

(WBNG Binghamton) Boston Police said no arrest has been made in the Boston Marathon bombings.

According to WBZ:

After a flurry of conflicting media reports Wednesday afternoon, Boston Police said there has been no arrest in the Boston Marathon bombings.

“Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack,” the department tweeted at 2:36 p.m.

Contrary to widespread reporting, no arrest has been made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting,” FBI spokesperson Katherine Gulotta said in a statement.

CNN had reported an arrest and another media wire stated that a suspect was taken into custody and was expected at a Boston courthouse.

However, CBS News correspondent Bob Orr reported Wednesday afternoon that authorities have identified at least one person they want to speak with, either as a witness or as a possible suspect, from surveillance video.

The man sought as a possible suspect is a white male, wearing white baseball cap on backwards, a gray hoodie and a black jacket, according to CBS News.

Several media outlets reported that a suspect had been identified from surveillance video taken at the Lord & Taylor store on Boylston Street between the sites of the two bomb blasts, which killed three people and wounded more than 170.

Orr said authorities have video of a man in a black jacket on a cell phone, wearing a gray hoodie and a white baseball cap backwards placing a black bag at the second bomb site outside of the Forum restaurant on Boylston Street and then leaving the area before that explosion.

Orr said the man was on the phone at the second bomb site when the first bomb exploded.

Orr said the FBI looked at time man was on his cell phone and then went back and scanned all the calls made in the area to track who they wanted to talk to.


As the reports of a possible arrest started to circulate, a crowd started to form outside the federal courthouse in South Boston in anticipation of a suspect being brought in.

Then, the court was evacuated just after 3 p.m.

According to WBZ-TV’s Karen Anderson, a bomb threat was called in.

“Code red, everyone out!” blared over the courthouse loudspeakers, Anderson said, as she was inside the building.

Heavily armed police surrounded the building and bomb sniffing dogs were brought in.

The FBI says in light of the threat at the courthouse, their 5 p.m. briefing has been postponed. No new time has been announced.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.