Cause Found in Historic Diner Fire

By Matt Hicks

October 3, 2012 Updated Oct 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM EDT

Ithaca, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Investigators say a fire at a historic diner in Ithaca resulted from an electrical malfunction.

It happened around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the State Diner on West State Street.

When crews got to the diner, the roof was on fire. Investigators say the origin of the fire was the space between the ceiling and the roof.

No one was inside the building at the time and no injuries are reported.

Firefighters had the blaze under control in about 25 minutes, although they said it had been burning for some time before hand.

Although they've determined a cause, investigators are still determining why the electrical system malfunctioned.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.