Children In Walton Receiving Death Threats

By Adam Chick

January 6, 2013 Updated Jan 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM EST

Walton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Children in Walton have been receiving death threats through social media. Police have yet to confirm the identity of the perpetrator, but will confirm its happening.

The people of Walton say over a dozen kids have been targeted online in what parents are calling a scary event. Somebody, using various Facebook accounts, has been harassing the children of Walton. They've friended various youths in the community, only to post pictures of dead children and tag Walton children in those pictures.

Police have confirmed that they are looking into this.

Parents say the individual was threatening to hurt various children, even asking at one point if they should duplicate the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings. Parents in Walton are extremely concerned and are taking these threats extremely seriously, especially after the shooting in Connecticut last month.

"Scared. Especially in light of what happened last month in Connecticut. Worried that you always think it can't happen to you but it does happen in these small communities. It happens everywhere. No one's immune from this," said one parent who wished to remain nameless.

"I felt sick to my stomach because the kids don't need to see this stuff. They see enough stuff and they don't need to see things like that. They don't need to be exposed to anything more," said another parent who also wished to remain nameless.

Parents say the accounts used to make these posts have been taken down and these menacing posts have been stopped at least for the time being. Some parents have been wondering whether or not to send their children to school.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.