Colesville, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A blaze destroyed a Colesville home after crews responded to the two-alarm house fire.
The call came out around 2:45 p.m. Wednesday for the fire at 171 Moot Town Road.
Fire crews battled the flames in single-degree temperatures.
Residents were home at the time of the fire but made it out safely.
Jeff Winchell, Sr. Fire Investigator for Broome County, said the homeowner's son was trying to thaw frozen pipes and that sparked the fire.
Fire officials said the fire was difficult to fight due to lack of water, the cold temperatures and lack of manpower.
Several tankers were called to the scene
"Obviously, cold weather had an effect on our equipment freezing up a little bit and our fill site, we had a little bit of difficulty establishing water there. It's just the things of cold weather hindered our process a bit until we were able to get equipment here to do our attack," said Second Asst. Chief Dale Holbert of the Sanitaria Springs Fire Department.
Crews from Colesville, West Colesville, Chenango Bridge, Chenango, Sanitaria Springs, Port Crane, Oquaga and Harpursville responded, as well as Superior ambulance, Colesville ambulance, state police, and NYSEG.