Dozens help family rebuild after fire destroys their home

By Erika Mahoney

January 20, 2014 Updated Jan 20, 2014 at 11:55 AM EDT

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A community came together to help a family rebuild from a fire that cost them their house last month.

Gina and Jason Greene lost their Guilford home on Dec. 9 after a television malfunctioned and started a fire.

The family managed to escape safely, but, unfortunately, the house was a total loss.

On Sunday night, dozens of family and friends held a benefit at the Ranch Bar and Grill in Binghamton to raise money and help the family get back on their feet.

The Greenes were shocked at the support they received.

"This is just completely amazing," Gina and Jason Greene said. "Everyone that came out, we don't even know everyone that was here. And just coming out to help us, it's just really good to know that there are people around like that."

The family said they plan to rebuild in the same location and this outpouring of support shows how great their community is.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.