Elredge Street fire caused by smoking

By Kelly McCarthy

Elredge Street fire caused by smoking

October 8, 2013 Updated Oct 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM EDT

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) The fire at a home on Eldredge Street that injured a resident and firefighter on Saturday has been ruled accidental related to smoking.

Binghamton Fire Marshal Dan Eggleston said a cigarette caused a mattress to catch fire. Someone who lived there tried to drag the mattress out which caused the fire to spread in the two family home.

The family that lives on the other side of the apartment at 121 Eldredge Street tried to escape the fire. A grandmother dropped her grandchild to another person from the second story window safely. The grandmother then tried to escape from the window and was injured from burns to her legs.

When the Binghamton fire department got there, the house was fully engulfed in flames and spread into the front of both apartments.

While fighting the fire, the roof collapsed. A Binghamton firefighter was treated at the hospital for minor injuries.

The fire happened around 12:30 Saturday morning.