Army vet thwarts officer attack

By Perry Russom

June 18, 2013 Updated Jun 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM EDT

Endicott, NY (WBNG Binghamton) John Cheeseboro thought he was going to get away after struggling with and hitting an Endicott police officer Tuesday afternoon.

What he wasn't thinking about was the six-year U.S. Army veteran in the car behind him.

Endicott police responded to a domestic abuse call early Tuesday afternoon at 29 Madison Ave.

Police Officer JD Quinn was the only officer called to the scene of a mother/son altercation. There, she met Cheeseboro, 20, outside of the house and he began to give her trouble, according to a department news release.

After multiple warnings, Quinn started to arrest Cheeseboro when he began to hit her.

Just then, Kyle Chanitz's car hit a red light at the corner of Monroe Street and Madison Avenue.

"He looked like he was going to run from her," Chanitz said Tuesday, reflecting on the incident.

Chanitz turned to his friend in the passenger's seat and told him to stay in the car.

"Once I seen (sic) her get hit and she had no backup, I just didn't think," said Chanitz. "I just reacted."

Chanitz said he motioned to Quinn to be quiet so she didn't give away he was behind Cheeseboro.

"I ran probably a good 15 feet as fast as I could and hit him with my shoulder ... knocked the breath out of him," Chanitz said.

He then lifted Cheeseboro up to his shoulders and "just dropped him and then jumped on his back, knees first, so he couldn't move," he said.

Cheeseboro's hands were underneath his body leaving Chanitz wondering if he had a gun or a knife. But Chanitz eventually freed Cheesboro's hands using a wristlock maneuver he learned in the Army.

He held Cheeseboro down for a few minutes until other officers arrived.

"Once I heard the clicking of the cuffs, I got back into the car went and did the errands I had to do," Chanitz said.

Quinn suffered minor injuries in the scuffle. Endicott officials say she will not miss any time from work.

Cheeseboro was charged with felony assault in the second degree, resisting arrest, two counts of harassment in the second degree and disorderly conduct.

He was arraigned in Endicott Village Court Tuesday evening and taken to the Broome County Jail without bail.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.