TV malfunction sparks fire leaving family displaced

By Chelsea Bishop

TV malfunction sparks fire leaving family displaced

December 10, 2013 Updated Dec 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM EDT

Guilford, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A home in Chenango County is destroyed after a television malfunctioned Monday night.

Guilford and Oxford fire departments responded to a house fire at 118 Mechanic Street.

Chief Ken Haynes of the Guilford Fire Dept. said the two-story home caught fire around 6 p.m.

The family living there was inside the home at the time of the fire, but were able to escape safely.

Chief Haynes says the home is a total loss.

The Chenango County Bureau of Fire says the malfunctioned television was in the home's living room.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.