Smoking led to fatal apartment fire

By Anna Norris
By Julianne Peixoto
By Jillian Marshall

July 16, 2014 Updated Jul 17, 2014 at 5:36 PM EST

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) One man is dead after a fire at a downtown apartment complex Wednesday afternoon.

Lt. Tom Harding of the Binghamton Fire Department confirmed a 68-year-old man was severely burned and later died from his injuries after being removed from a fire on the fifth floor of the North Shore Towers.

He told Action News the deceased man was using his portable oxygen system and smoking in his recliner, which lead to the fire.

Fire crews were called at approximately 12:45 p.m. Wednesday to the complex, located at 24 Isbell St.

Residents of the building were asked to evacuate, but were back inside their apartments a short time later.

Harding said the cause is officially ruled as accidental due to the smoking.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.