Electrical issue sparks fire in vacant second-story apartment

By Jillian Marshall

October 24, 2013 Updated Oct 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM EDT

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) An electrical issue is to blame for a fire in Binghamton apartment Wednesday afternoon.

The Binghamton Fire Marshal's office said the fire was accidental.

The call came in around 4:10 p.m. Wednesday to the second-story apartment at 144 Broad Avenue, according to Binghamton Fire Officials.

Binghamton Assistant Fire Chief Richard Allen said it took eight minutes for firefighters to put of the fire.

The fire was contained to just the living room of the second floor apartment, which is currently vacant and up for rent.

People were home in the first and third floor apartments but evacuated safely.

Nobody was injured.

Vestal, Five Mile Point and Port Dickson were called to the scene for assistance.

The fire is currently under investigation.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.