Fire crews put out chimney fire

By Suzanne Proulx

Fire crews put out chimney fire

March 9, 2014 Updated Mar 9, 2014 at 11:52 PM EDT

Town of Union, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Fire crews in put out a chimney fire in an Endwell house.

The call came out at approximately 8:45 p.m. Sunday for a house fire at 2713 Columbia Drive.

When fire crews arrived they found sparks flying out of the chimney and put out the fire quickly.

The Endwell fire chief said it happened because of poor chimney maintenance leading to a build up of creosote.

He added there have been a lot of fires during the long winter and the department would like to remind people of the importance of regular maintenance with fire places and chimneys.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.