Fire damages garage, equipment inside

By Erika Mahoney

January 4, 2014 Updated Jan 4, 2014 at 11:51 PM EST

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A Binghamton man is dealing with the aftermath of a garage fire that may have started from a kerosene heater.

The Binghamton Fire Department said they responded to 5 Julian Street around 1:15 Saturday afternoon.

They said someone living there turned on a kerosene heater inside the detached garage and then went back into the home.

About fifteen minutes later, that person heard something and saw smoke.

Binghamton fire said there's significant damage to the garage and the equipment inside. They said luckily, no cars were inside the garage at the time of the fire.

The fire is still under investigation.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.