Fire Closes SUNY Oneonta Dorm UPDATE (With Photos)

By Matt Hicks
By Conor Mooney

Credit: Nicholas Spadaro

Fire Closes SUNY Oneonta Dorm UPDATE (With Photos)

January 16, 2013 Updated Oct 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM EDT

Oneonta, NY (WBNG Binghamton) The cause of a fire that broke out in a SUNY Oneonta dorm Wednesday afternoon has been determined to be electrical.

The Oneonta Fire Department said the fire was an accident.

Investigators believe the fire started with an electrical strip or lamp that a student was using in their Matteson Hall room.

It began in a suite on the building's third floor.

The fire was contained to the suite, but smoke caused heavy damage to the entire floor.

Students spent Wednesday evening in the school's gymnasium. State authorities were expected to begin checking as early as Wednesday evening whether the fire caused any structural damage in the building.

West Oneonta, Otego, Laurens, Franklin, Worchester, Sidney and Treadwell fire departments assisted the Oneonta Fire Department.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.