Defendant waived hearing in fatal hit and run case

By Conor Mooney
By Haley Burton
By Erika Mahoney

April 14, 2014 Updated Apr 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM EDT

New Milford, Pa. (WBNG Binghamton) A 25-year-old Hallstead man charged in a fatal hit and run waived his preliminary hearing Monday morning.

"The waiting is the hardest thing,” said Earl Young, the victim’s father. “I would just hope for this to be done and over with so we could go on, but now we have to wait even longer."

Roger James Radakovich was arrested on several charges including accidents involving death or personal injury, homicide by a vehicle, involuntary manslaughter and operating a motor vehicle without insurance.

The victim's father says the court proceedings are a game of hurry up and wait that weighs on his family's hearts.

"We're going to the court of common pleas,” said Susquehanna County District Attorney Jason Legg. “The parties are in negotiations for resolution and we spent a lot of time discussing it with the victim’s family and the defendant, trying to work something out."

It's been three months since Earl Youngs, 20, Hallstead, was killed. His family continues to search for answers.

"The main thing right now is why did he leave,” said Earl Youngs. “That's the main thing... why would you just leave someone laying there and drive away."

Youngs was just beginning adulthood.

"He was like my best friend," Jennifer Youngs, a cousin, said. "No matter what happened, if you were down, he would try to bring you back up. He was the kindest person I ever met."

"He was getting on the right path," said Chris Youngs, the victim's uncle. “Becoming a man like he should have been."

A man who was literally just starting a family of his own.

"His daughter had just been born the day before, so he didn't even get to actually see her,” said Keri Youngs, the victim’s younger sister.

The daughter he left behind will always be a reminder of who he was.

"Part of him lives on, and that's what we hold on to,” said Keri Youngs.

Youngs also got engaged a month before he died

"I have some okay days and then some really bad days," said Alyssa Wright, Young’s fiancée.

The trial is scheduled for sometime in May, the exact date has not been determined.

"He expresses true remorse to the family,” said Defense Attorney Stephen Turel. “It was a tragic accident that had occurred here."

The Youngs say they don't see that remorse, and are asking the DA to set up a meeting where they can directly ask Radakovich why he fled the scene.

“There’s some discussions obviously regarding, perhaps, everybody meeting," said Legg, "Like a victim impact type situation, which I think might be helpful.”

Radakovich is out of jail on $25,000 bail.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.