Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) The Binghamton Fire Department responded to reports of smoke at the Holiday Inn Arena.
The fire department responded to the scene where construction crews were working on the roof.
A torch was being used to seal the seams of the roof when a small portion of the wood underneath caught fire.
The fire department says it smoldered for a short time, but crews got on the roof to ensure it had stopped burning.
Binghamton Fire officials say because the building has such a high occupancy, extensive measures were taken to eliminate any chance of the fire re-igniting.