Natural gas cause of house explosion

By Chelsea Bishop
By Haley Burton
By Conor Mooney

June 13, 2013 Updated Jun 13, 2013 at 9:27 PM EDT

Horseheads, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Investigators say a buildup of natural gas inside a home was most likely the cause of an explosion in Chemung County that sent a man to the hospital.

According to CBS affiliate WENY, the explosion happened at approximately 8 p.m. Wednesday at 3052 Camden Ave. in Horseheads. The buildup of natural gas was caused by someone in the home, although New York State Police didn't provide any additional details.

All NYSEG facilities outside the home were tested and determined functional and safe, ruling out the equipment as a potential cause.

Neighbors said they smelled gas before they heard and felt the explosion that shook and broke windows of nearby homes.

Brien Marr, 36, was inside the home at the time of the explosion. He was taken to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester with non-life threatening injuries.

NYSEG responded to the scene and turned off gas lines to the neighborhood.

The home is a mile and a half away from Joseph Street, where a home explosion in January 2011 killed a toddler.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.