Newark Valley, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Tioga County Investigators say the Saturday fire started in the chimney and quickly spread to the walls. The house has been ruled a total loss.
According to Newark Valley Fire Chief George Wahl, a call came over around 11 a.m. Saturday morning for a structure fire at 1163 Tarbox Lane in Newark Valley.
Wahl said when the crews arrived on scene the roof of the house had already collapsed, which forced the crews to immediately fight a defensive fire.
"Just the way the structure is we're going to go defensive mode," Wahl said. "Try to get the fire out from the outside."
Wahl said nobody was home at the time of the fire and that there is no saving to the home.
"We might end up getting some expensive equipment in here to get the walls down," Wahl said.
Tioga County Fire Investigators were on scene and are investigating.
Union Center, Berkshire, Maine, and West Corners all assisted with the fire.