House burned up by fireplace

By Chelsea Bishop

March 11, 2014 Updated Mar 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM EDT

Guilford, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Crews from several fire departments worked Tuesday morning to fight a house fire in Chenango County.

At approximately 1:15 a.m. Tuesday, the Guilford Fire Department was dispatched to 459 Keach Road in Guilford.

Guilford Fire Chief Ken Haynes said there were three people living in the home at the time, but they were all able to escape safely.

Chenango County Fire Investigators determined the cause of the fire to be due to a chimney.

Haynes said the flames burned up the side of the building and spread to the roof.

The damage was extensive and the house is a total loss.

Mt. Upton, Norwich, Oxford, and South New Berlin assisted on scene.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.