Overloaded extension cord sparks house fire

By Erika Mahoney

January 12, 2014 Updated Jan 14, 2014 at 11:51 AM EDT

Town of Maine, NY (WBNG Binghamton) An electric cord is to blame for a fire in the Town of Maine.

Crews responded around 6:15 p.m. Sunday to 569 Route 38B where a small cord in the basement of the home had caught fire.

Union Center Fire Chief Chris Hoyt said a smoke alarm alerted the family to get out.

No one was injured.

When Union Center and aiding fire departments arrived on the scene, there was heavy smoke coming from the basement.

It took the departments about 20 minutes to get the fire under control, according to Hoyt.

"The smoke alarm was everything for notification in this call," Hoyt said. "They're very important to have."

Hoyt said the home sustained fire and smoke damage in the basement and smoke damage on the first floor.

But, he believes it can be repaired.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.