UPDATE: Woman found dead after fire

By Amy Khuu
By Conor Mooney

UPDATE: Woman found dead after fire

January 10, 2014 Updated Jan 10, 2014 at 3:18 PM EDT

Town of Fenton (WBNG Binghamton) Smoking materials caused a fire that left an elderly woman dead.

Crews responded to a call for a house fire a little before 7 p.m. Thursday on Route 369.

When responders arrived to the house, they found the home filled with smoke and a small fire in the living room.

Responders found June Talbot, 81, unconscious in the living room.

They were able to extinguish the fire and remove Talbot from the scene immediately, officials said.

She was taken to Wilson Regional Medical Center Friday morning for an autopsy, where it was determined she died of smoke inhalation.

Deputies said the smoking materials ignited a couch in the living room.

"The fire company did a great job. They got here, got it out and did get her out of the house, unfortunately, unable to revive her" said Detective Sgt. Jason T. Ellis.

Port Crane, Sanitary Springs and Chenango Forks fire departments responded to the scene.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.