How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in cold temps

By Jillian Marshall

January 2, 2014 Updated Jan 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM EDT

(WBNG Binghamton) The county is warning against carbon monoxide poisoning with people trying to find alternative methods of staying warm.

They're reminding residents not to use ovens or stoves as heat and not to use gas or kerosene heaters in small spaces or with the door closed.

They say to never run a generator inside your home or even in an attached garage or porch.

Also, to never use charcoal or gas grills inside or outside near window where fumes could seep though.

And to make sure the batteries in carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.

The county says more than 400 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.