Vestal, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A Vestal man scams an elderly woman out of more than $1,000 in a contracting scheme.
Vestal police arrested Jeremy Eugene John, 42, Thursday after officials said they found him conducting a driveway paving scam.
An elderly woman hired John to pave her driveway.
He charged the woman $1,500 for the job, but police say Jonh's work was defective.
Authorities found him in Brooklyn, and sent him to Vestal to be arraigned.
He was sent to Broome County Jail on $10,000 bail.
Vestal Police offer the following advice:
- Reputable contractors will rarely solicit their services or products door-to-door. In Vestal, anyone who solicits work must be registered with the town, and this can always be verified by calling the Town Clerks Office at 748-1514 or the police department at 754-2111;
- The claim of left over materials from another job is a common ploy of the traveling criminal;
- Never hire someone on the spot and do thorough research on any business that you consider hiring;
- Insist on a written contract that specifies the work to be performed;
- Most reputable companies will not offer cash sales and are available to accept checks or credit cards, and;
- If a quoted price seems unusually low, the chances are the quality of work will be equally low.