Man accidentally sets himself on fire

By Conor Mooney

Credit: MGN Online

Man accidentally sets himself on fire

July 30, 2013 Updated Jul 31, 2013 at 1:08 AM EDT

Westford, NY (WBNG Binghamton) In Otsego County, a man seriously injured himself after accidentally setting his clothes on fire.

Deputies said Samuel Atwood, 57, was flicking a lighter Monday night in his mobile home on City Highway 34.

Some of the lighter fluid spilled onto his clothes.

He filled the lighter and flicked it again, which ignited his shirt.

A neighbor heard him screaming and called the police.

Atwood's teenage sons helped him remove his clothes, and get him outside.

Crews stabilized and air lifted him to Upstate University Hospital in Syracuse.

The Otsego County Sheriff's Office investigated.

The Westford Fire Department, the First Responder Unit and the Worcester and Schenevus Emergency Squads also responded to the scene.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.