Cause determined for house fire

By Kevin Clark
By Alicia Nieves
By Haley Burton

January 18, 2014 Updated Jan 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM EDT

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) An electric blanket malfunction was to blame for a fire early Saturday that damaged a home, according to the fire marshal's office.

The Binghamton Fire Department responded to the fire around 10:40 a.m. at 30 Linden St.

According to Steve Faughnan, Assistant Fire Chief, it took 22 firefighters about 20 minutes to put out the fire.

A mother and her daughter were able to get out of the home safely. Two other children also live in the home, but they were not home at the time the fire broke out.

"It's my understanding that the daughter was in the shower," Faughnan said. "The mother grabbed her, put a towel around her and brought her out the door and they got out just in time."

Faughnan said the first floor of the house has extensive damage from the fire and the top floor has some damage, mostly caused by smoke and water.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.