Unattended cooking sparks fire at multifamily home

By Suzanne Proulx

October 24, 2013 Updated Oct 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM EST

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Fire crews responded to a fire at a multifamily at 53 North St. after unattended cooking started the fire.

The call came out just after 4 p.m. Wednesday.

The Binghamton Fire Marshal's office said unattended cooking on the first floor is to blame for the fire.

When crews arrived the found heavy smoke and flames coming for the first and second floor on the west side of the home.

Binghamton Fire Chief Daniel Thomas said it is a multifamily home and doesn't believe the home is vacant. Originally there were reports that the home was vacant.

The fire is under investigation.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.