Cause Determined In Oak Hill Avenue House Fire

By Suzanne Proulx
By Cristina Frank

Cause Determined In Oak Hill Avenue House Fire

January 27, 2012 Updated Jan 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM EST

Endicott, NY (WBNG Binghamton) An electrical short is to blame for an early morning two-alarm house fire in Endicott.

It happened at 3:50AM Friday morning at a house on 512 Oak Hill Avenue in Endicott.

The Endicott Fire Department says an electrical short in a service panel in the basement started burning, causing the wooden floor joists and flooring materials to ignite.

Two people were inside the house but managed to get out safely without injuries.

Crews did have to rescue a cat from inside the house.

There is minimal water and smoke damage throughout the house. The hardest hit area was where the fire started.

"Basement fires are always difficult, you're putting guys down inside the building," said Endicott Fire Chief Stephen Hrustich. "There's nowhere for that smoke and heat to go but out through the stairs behind them. Always a difficult task, but crews did a great job getting this fire out."

The home did have smoke detectors that went off on all three levels of the home.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.