Town of Union, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Deputies arrest a man found to be in possession of marijuana and a stolen handgun.
At approximately 2:25 a.m. Saturday, a Broome County Sheriff’s deputy stopped a vehicle for an equipment violation at the intersection of East Main Street and Davis Avenue in the Town of Union.
The driver, Maurice Atkinson, 30, of Johnson City, did not have a valid driver’s license due to failure to pay a fine.
While speaking with Atkinson, the deputy smelled marijuana coming from inside the vehicle.
Atkinson was found to be in possession of a small amount of marijuana.
Further investigation revealed a loaded handgun stolen from the State of Georgia inside the vehicle.
Atkinson was arrested without incident and taken to the Broome County Jail. New York State Police assisted at the scene.
His charges include:
- Criminal possession of weapon in the second degree, a class C felony
- Criminal possession of stolen property in the fourth degree, a class E felony
- Unlawful possession of marijuana, a violation
- Aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the third degree, an unclassified misdemeanor
- Unlicensed operator, a violation
- No rear plate lamps visible, a violation