Red Cross moves emergency supplies

By Jillian Marshall

February 22, 2014 Updated Feb 23, 2014 at 1:01 AM EDT

Town of Fenton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Emergency and disaster relief supplies were on the move in Broome County, but they weren't going very far.

The Southern Tier Chapter of the American Red Cross moved more than 150 pallets of supplies out of a warehouse at the former Army Depot Saturday.

Volunteers put boxes of cots, paper towels, water and more into freight trucks to unload them only a few warehouses down.

Red Cross volunteers said they had to move their supplies because ownership of their current warehouse changed.

Broome County Executive Debbie Preston announced plans to develop the depot into a regional shelter in her State of the County Address.

Deputy County Executive Bijoy Datta released a statement this afternoon saying, "The county is in negotiations to acquire 60 percent of the depot site, the Federal Government is in control of the other 40 percent. They've allowed the County to use the 60 percent they are looking to acquire at this time."

While they county doesn't own it yet, they are able to use part of it.

A Red Cross member said he thinks it's a good idea, but the site needs work.

"If we open a shelter, we need a couple of things: running water, we need bathrooms, we also need showers for the people, has to be warm. Because we are involved with FEMA, if we open a shelter it has to be special needs as well," said Red Cross volunteer, Bob Hagman.

Preston said there's no known time of when this would open, but agrees it's a long-term project.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.