Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Binghamton fire investigators say the that tore through the second floor of a home was an accident.
Firefighters were called to 38 Winding Way around 11:45 a.m. Sunday.
On Monday, investigators said the fire was caused by an extension cord that was plugged into a faulty freezer wire.
Firefighters said when they arrived, the second floor of the house was in flames.
The upstairs was severely damaged.
"The fire marshal and his staff are on the scene now. They are collecting the information and what they need to make a proper call on the house," said Binghamton Fire Captain Robert Parke.
According to investigators, the home did not have working smoke detectors.
Four adults and two children were inside the house when the fire started. All escaped without injury.
One firefighter suffered minor burns.