Staying safe from lead poisoning

By Jillian Marshall

October 25, 2013 Updated Oct 25, 2013 at 7:54 PM EDT

Binghamton,NY (WBNG Binghamton) Are your children safe from lead poisoning? Nation Lead Poisoning Prevention Week will help you be prepared.

Sunday marked the first day of National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week.

Broome County Health Department said lead paint may have been used in houses built before 1978.

The health department added that lead is particularly dangerous to young children who are still developing.

Kids can get lead poisoning by eating lead paint chips or playing in or around paint dust.

"It can cause IQ deficits, behavior problems, some permanent brain issues. So there's a lot to be concerned about," Sarah Walker of the Broome County Heath Department said.

A $2.1 million HUD Lead Hazard Control Grant is helping the Health Department fix lead poisoned homes.

For more information on the qualifications for the grant or on how you can protect your family from lead poisoning, click here.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.