Stove ignited fire in Owego apartment

By Jillian Marshall

August 10, 2014 Updated Aug 10, 2014 at 11:17 PM EDT

Owego, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A three alarm fire ripped through the inside of a multi-family home in Owego.

According to the Village of Owego Fire Department, it happened just before 1 o'clock Sunday afternoon at a multi-family home at 405 Front St.

The fire department said the tenant of one of the apartments called 911 for what he says was a stove fire.

After a brief investigation by Tioga County Fire Investigators, they ruled the fire started when the pilot on the stove ignited the gas line, which is something the fire chief said doesn't happen often.

"A lot of times when you have a stove fire, it'd be when it's in the cleaning phase because they get such a hot temperature. This type of fire is a unique one, that I haven't seen over the last few years, actually where it was fed by the actual gas of the stove," said Village of Owego Fire Chief Daniel Gavin.

The fire was in the kitchen and dining room area of the apartment.

Overall the Gavin said it took about ten minutes to put out the fire.

There are three apartments inside the home, nobody was injured.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.