Cold case homicide in Binghamton, three years later

By Haley Burton

March 14, 2014 Updated Mar 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM EDT

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) The three-year anniversary is approaching of the arson fire that killed Jeffrey Aissa, 17.

Police are still investigating the homicide.

"It's both been a very long and a very short three years for us. When I recall the loss of my son, the time has stood still. It was just yesterday that I lost my child and my world," said Maureen Aissa, who lost her son, "I think the person who committed this crime is carrying this guilt with them every day."

In the early morning hours of March 17, 2011, the family's home at 20 Milford St. on Binghamton's east side was set on fire. Jeffrey Aissa did not make it out alive.

"I have great memories of Jeffrey. He was kind, sensitive," Maureen Aissa recalled, "He was very thoughtful and very caring. He had a great sense of humor. He was just a wonderful child, a wonderful child to raise."

The fire was ruled arson and police believe it was a targeted act.

"Whether or not that targeted act meant to cause that kind of damage and the death of Jeffrey, I don't know if that was necessarily the reason or the motive but I don't believe it was random," said Capt. Collins, Binghamton Police.

Collins said leads have come in over the last three years, but as time passes, tips decrease and the case turns cold. But detectives keep the investigate open.

"As new ideas come in, we do a review of the case and we do periodic reviews of the investigations to determine what else we can possibly do, " said Collins, "It's like anything else, it becomes difficult. We're limited with manpower. We're limited with resources."

Aissa said police have remained in constant contact with her about the case over the last three years.

"I remain very hopeful that the police will get answers. They are doing everything they can," she said, "I truly believe they will solve this case."

A thought that police echo.

"There's always someone out there that has information. Obviously we would encourage that person to come forward or those persons to come forward," said Collins, "It takes a lot of courage but we're hoping, we're still optimistic that eventually somebody will come forward to speak to us about what they know, who did this."

The family will be holding a vigil for Jeffrey on Monday, March 17 on the three year anniversary.

It will begin at 6 p.m. at property at 20 Milford St.

The Binghamton Police Department asks anyone with information on this case to call detectives at (607) 772-7080.