Unattended cooking results in house fire

By Haley Burton

Credit: Ithaca Fire Department

Unattended cooking results in house fire

August 11, 2014 Updated Aug 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM EDT

Ithaca, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A home in Ithaca was damaged Sunday after a fire that started in the basement.

Around 5:30 p.m., the Ithaca Fire Department responded to 107 Brandon Place for a report of a basement fire.

When firefighters arrived, there was smoke pouring from the basement.

The fire started after a pot was left unattended on the stove.

It was contained to the basement. The kitchen area was heavily damaged and the first floor received some minor damage, according to IFD.

The people who live in the home were able to escape the fire safely. An Ithaca firefighter received a twisted ankle while responding.

The fire department issued a reminder to everyone to "have a working smoke detector on every level of their home and if you do have a fire, get everyone out and close the doors."

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.