Gov. Cuomo announces $67 million in funding for bicycle, pedestrian and multi-use path enhancement projects

By WBNG News

Gov. Cuomo announces $67 million in funding for bicycle, pedestrian and multi-use path enhancement projects

January 15, 2014 Updated Jan 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM EST

(WBNG Binghamton) New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on Wednesday announced the award of approximately $67 million in funding for 63 bicycle, pedestrian and multi-use path transportation enhancement projects that will encourage tourism and economic development opportunities across the state.

According to a news release from Cuomo's office:

The projects include the addition of accessible sidewalks, improved pedestrian access to public transportation services, construction of new bicycle and pedestrian facilities and the preservation and conversion of abandoned railroad corridors for trail use.

“We are modernizing New York State’s transportation system while making it safer,” Governor Cuomo said. “From building new facilities for bicycles and pedestrians to supporting historic highway programs, these projects will provide new tourism and recreational opportunities for New Yorkers and visitors. We will continue to upgrade New York’s infrastructure to expand tourism and economic development while improving our communities.”

New York State Department of Transportation Commissioner (NYSDOT) Joan McDonald said, “Today’s announcement demonstrates the State’s sustained commitment to investing in bicycle and pedestrian safety efforts to improve the livability of communities statewide. Thanks to the leadership of Governor Cuomo, we are investing in projects that are promoting transportation alternatives, tourism and recreation, and local and regional economic development.”

These funds are made available to the State through the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and are administered by NYSDOT. The funds cover 80 percent of the cost of each project, with the remaining 20 percent coming from the project sponsor. The funds are dedicated for strategic investments in transportation alternatives. With the 20% local match, these projects will support a total investment of $96.5 million. The selected projects are required to address one or more of the following categories:
•Facilities for bicycles and pedestrians;
•Scenic or historic highway programs;
•Landscaping and other beautification initiatives;
•Preservation of abandoned railway corridors, including their conversion and use as pedestrian and bicycle trails; and
•Environmental mitigation to address water pollution due to highway runoff or reducing vehicle-caused wildlife mortality.

The projects announced today were selected through a competitive solicitation process and rated on established criteria that included environmental enhancement to and for the transportation system; connectivity to an existing transportation system; encouragement of smart growth; impact on local or regional economies; availability of matching funds; and level of community support. A full list of the projects planned for the Southern Tier is listed below.

Southern Tier - $3.3 million

Northside (East Pulteney Street) Pedestrian Safety Improvements    City of Corning    Steuben    $480,000

Chemung River Corridor Trail – Lackawanna Trail Improvements    Chemung County    Chemung    $202,214

Campbell Hamlet Sidewalk Project    Town of Campbell    Steuben    $164,960

Town of Chemung Sidewalk Placement Project    Chemung County    Chemung    $600,000

W. Martin Luther King Jr. Corridor Enhancements    City of Ithaca    Tompkins    $600,000

South Otsiningo Riverfront Multi-Modal Trail    Broome County    Broome    $406,300

Front St. Streetscape Improvements (Court St. to Dean St.)    Village of Deposit    Broome    $825,000

 
 

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.