NYSEG and RG&E Urge Customers to Be Wary of Carbon Monoxide – It Can Be Deadly

By WBNG News

NYSEG and RG&E Urge Customers to Be Wary of Carbon Monoxide – It Can Be Deadly

October 10, 2012 Updated Oct 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM EDT

(WBNG Binghamton) NYSEG and RG&E is urging customers to be wary of Carbon Monoxide:

• Have a professional check their heating systems and chimneys, flues and vents once a year.

• Use carbon monoxide (CO) detectors. (CO detectors are now required by state law in most residences.)

• Read, understand and follow manufacturer’s instructions when using supplemental heat sources such as space heaters or fireplaces, and emergency generators, which never should be used indoors or even in a garage.

• Never use a natural gas stove, oven or charcoal grill as an indoor heat source.

Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms, including headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea and loss of muscle control. Prolonged exposure to CO can lead to serious illness and even death.

CO is produced by incomplete combustion from boilers, furnaces, water heaters, gasoline engines, stoves, generators, lanterns and natural gas ranges. The incomplete combustion of charcoal, oil, wood or propane can also produce CO, which can build up in enclosed or partially-enclosed spaces and poorly ventilated areas. This can create a dangerous situation.

Anyone who suspects a carbon monoxide problem should get up, get out and call 911. NYSEG customers may also call 1.800.572.1121; RG&E customers may call 1.800.743.1702.        
 

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.