Fire in Chenango County

By Matt Hicks
By Justin Andrews

September 19, 2012 Updated Sep 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM EDT

Smithville, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A family's home goes up in flames Wednesday afternoon in the Town of Smithville.

Fire investigators now believe an electrical malfunction is to blame. But the investigation is on-going.

It happened along County Road 2 just before 3 p.m.

According to the Genegantslet fire chief, Esther Roote was at home when the fire started, but she was able to get out safely and call 911.

She lives at the residence with husband John Roote.

Investigators said the fire started on the first floor and spread quickly through the old farm house.

When they arrived on scene around 2:35 p.m., the front of the home was engulfed.

With help from crews from Green and McDonough, firefighters had the blaze knocked down just an hour later.

Most of the home was destroyed, but an extension on the back sustained little damage.

The couple is currently staying with family.

County Road 2 had been closed between Ott Road and State Highway 41 but is now open.