Town of Chenango (WBNG Binghamton) Half-a dozen fire departments were called to a second alarm house fire in the Chenango Forks area Thursday morning. Now, investigators are working to find out what started the blaze.
It started around 7:30 a.m. at 520 Mix Road.
We're told the family who lives in the house was not at home at the time.
A neighbor rescued two of the dogs who were inside the house.
It took crews more than an hour to get the fire under control.
By that time - the home was destroyed. All that remains standing is two chimneys.
Neighbors can't believe it.
"I heard a 'boom' and I heard horns and sirens so I thought there was an accident, but soon saw smoke pouring out from down the road. That's when we knew something was seriously wrong," says Karen Dubois, a town of Chenango resident.
"I can't believe it. I've worked on that house for years so I know the people that lived there before. It's hard, it was a part of the neighborhood. Everybody grew up here, everybody swam in the pool..was just a part of life here," says Michael Aelwhite, another neighbor.
Responding fire departments include Chenango Bridge, Port Crane, Greene and Castle Creek.