Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A family receives a life changing gift after losing everything in a fire. A local business helps them just in time for the holidays.
Sandra Tauterouff got an unexpected phone call Monday.
The owner of the Save-More-Furniture Store and charity Beds For Kids gave Sandra a $4,000 shopping spree and five beds.
"It was amazing it was a blessing I couldn't ask for anything better," said Sandra Tauterouff, Binghamton. "I was just down and out, sitting there in an empty house and he came through and just out of the kindness of his heart."
The family lost everything in a house fire back on December 9.
"What wasn't consumed by fire was completely destroyed by smoke damage," said Leonard Hilldale, owner of Save More Furniture.
It was the smoke that woke up 12-year-old Demetrius Colvin just in time to save his family's lives.
"I woke up and didn't know what was going on so I ran upstairs to tell mom," said Demetrius, "I was scared."
Demetrius said he learned about fire safety in school, where a member of the Binghamton Fire Department goes in to teach the students.
"They had a plan and knew what they were doing and that's what really helped in getting the people out of the house and department notified," said Lt. Rick Tender, fire investigator, Binghamton Fire Department.
You can still see remnants of where a fire tore through Tauterouff's home. Now, only a week later, she and her family have moved next door and they're looking forward to a fresh start.
"I didn't even know what to believe, I was just in shock," said Tauterouff. "A lot of people go a lot of time when they lose so much and it's only been a week and we're actually getting a new start on life."
A start Hilldale was happy to give.
"I think after a catastrophe like this you just don't expect to pull out of it so quickly and for me it seemed like the thing to do," said Hilldale.
Helping to make the holiday season better for this family.