Town of Barton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A Town of Barton family is safe after they worked quickly with the fire department to extinguish their burning home.
A man was returning to his home on Ross Hill Road around 1:30 this afternoon and saw flames near his front door.
He grabbed a fire extinguisher to knock most of the fire down and within six minutes, Tioga Center Fire was on the scene.
They say a short in a transformer started an electrical fire on the outside of this home.
NYSEG worked through high winds to correct the electrical problem after crews drenched what was left of the fire when they arrived.
"There's actually no fire damage inside the house. It was all on the outside of the house, a little smokey inside, but that's it," said Milton Kemp from Tioga Center Fire.
No one was in the home when the fire broke out, except for a dog.
She was not hurt since the inside of the home was not damaged.