Mygatt Street Fire: Cause

By WBNG News

October 21, 2012 Updated Oct 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM EDT

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A rolled cigarette ignited the fire the damaged a six family apartment building in Binghamton.

The emergency call about the fire at 15 Mygatt Street came just before 1 a.m Sunday.

The Binghamton Fire Marshal said a man fell asleep while smoking in a second floor apartment bedroom.

He woke up to the fire and safely exited with a woman and child who also lived in the apartment.

Binghamton firefighters were called back to the scene Sunday morning after the fire re-ignited.

The fire caused extensive smoke and water damage to the apartment building.

All utilities to the building have been turned off and residents at the apartment building have been relocated.

The Fire Marshal says electrical repairs will need to be completed before tenants can return.