Three dead in house fire (with photos)

By Erika Mahoney

April 28, 2013 Updated Oct 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM EDT

Afton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Three people, including an 11-year-old, have died in a house fire.

New York State Police say Craig A. Gohl, 11, Nathan J. Herbert, 45, and Anna M. Ebert, 54, died Saturday night from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to New York State Police, Afton and Bainbridge fire departments and the New York State Police responded to a house fire at approximately 11:30 p.m. Saturday at 103 Warren Lane in the Town of Afton.

When the agencies arrived, they found a mobile home engulfed in flames.

It took firefighters 30 to 45 minutes to control and extinguish the fire.

During the investigation, police and fire personnel found Gohl, Herbert and Ebert, all residents of the home, dead inside the bedrooms.

Autopsies were performed Sunday at Lourdes Hospital in Binghamton.

The autopsies showed all three died of asphyxiation caused by smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Investigators said the fire appears to have started accidentally. They said smoking materials near the couch of the living room may have caused it.

Investigators also found there were no working smoke alarms in the home.

The investigation is ongoing by the Afton and Bainbridge volunteer fire departments, investigators from the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control and the Chenango County Fire Investigation Team.