Iles enters the record books in Cornell loss

By wbng sports

March 1, 2014 Updated Mar 1, 2014 at 12:45 AM EDT

Ithaca, NY (WBNG Binghamton) The men's hockey team peppered Dartmouth's goal with 36 shots Friday, but couldn't solve the Big Green's Charles Grant in a 1-0 loss at Lynah Rink in the squad penultimate game of the regular season. Cornell goalie Andy Iles made 19 saves in the loss, surpassing Ben Scrivens '10 for the Big Red's all-time career saves leader with 2,883 stops over his four seasons on East Hill.

Cornell (14-8-5, 10-7-4 ECAC Hockey) had a chance to clinch a first-round bye in the ECAC Hockey Championships with a victory, but it fell behind early in the second period on a scrambly goal by Tyler Sikura. With one player from each team tangled up in the Dartmouth zone, the Big Green essentially pushed its other players forward on the rush. Jesse Beamish gained the zone on the left side and set up Charlie Mosey for a shot in the slot that deflected off a defender, forcing Iles to make an off-balance kick save with his right leg. But the puck caromed back into the slot in the path of Sikura, who buried a shot low to the stick side.

To that point, neither team showed a whole lot of offensive jump -- but the Big Red generated handfuls of quality chances the rest of the way. Jacob MacDonald created an opportunity by keeping the line with a pinch on the right side, setting up Dustin Mowrey from the slot that Grant got his right skate to at 7:18 of the season period. About seven minutes later, Jeff Kubiak set up Matt Buckles on a breakaway from the high slot, but Grant squeezed off Buckles' shot between his body and right arm.

Thirty of Cornell's 36 shots on goal came over the final two periods. Three of those stops came on a wild series of opportunities with about nine minutes to play in the third. Christian Hilbrich's wraparound attempt was kicked away, John McCarron was stopped on the putback attempt, then Grant stopped Joakim Ryan on yet another rebound. Thirty seconds later, Buckles was again set up from close range, only to be foiled by Grant's glove.

Iles entered the night needed nine stops to match Scrivens' all-time mark of 2,873 saves. He surpassed that mark in the second period, then went on to finish the game with 19 saves.

Friday's game was the third time this season the Big Red was shut out and the first time since a 3-0 road loss Nov. 9 at Union. It was Dartmouth's first shutout win at Lynah Rink since 1960. The game was also the first Ivy League loss of the season for Cornell, which locked up the outright Ivy League title last week.

Cornell wraps up its regular season at 7 p.m. Saturday against rival Harvard at Lynah Rink. After Friday's results around the league, the Big Red is assured of finishing in either fourth or fifth place in the ECAC Hockey standings this season.

(Courtesy: Cornell Athletics)

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.