Late-inning heroics propel B-Mets to victory

By wbng sports

Late-inning heroics propel B-Mets to victory

July 18, 2013 Updated Jul 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM EDT

Manchester, NH (WBNG Binghamton) The Binghamton Mets scored three runs in the ninth inning with two outs and defeated the New Britain Rock Cats, 4-3, in come-from-behind fashion on Tuesday night at New Britain Stadium. Rhyne Hughes capped the furious comeback by lining a go-ahead, two-run single to right against Matt Hauser.

Major League rehabber Justin Turner started the rally by punching a two-out single with the bases empty into right. Josh Rodriguez followed with a walk and Allan Dykstra blooped an RBI single to left to cut the deficit in half.

After Wilfredo Tovar pinch-ran for Dykstra, Cesar Puello worked out a walk to load the bases. Ahead in the count 2-1, Hughes hammered Hauser’s offering through the hole. Rodriguez scored easily from third and Tovar dove head-first to the plate ahead of the throw from Evan Bigley with the game-winning run. Jeff Walters made the lead stand with a scoreless ninth, securing his league-leading 25th save of the year.

The game had initially started as a pitchers’ duel. The Rock Cats were quieted by B-Mets starter Mark Cohoon in the first three innings, mustering just one runner on a fielding error by shortstop Turner. Eddie Rosario snapped the slump and put New Britain on the board by launching a solo home run to right on Cohoon’s first pitch of the fourth inning.

New Britain pounded out three more hits in the inning, but the B-Mets defense shined to prevent the Rock Cats from adding to their lead. Evan Bigley roped a double to left, but was thrown out at home by Alonzo Harris when he tried to score on Josmil Pinto’s single. Darrell Ceciliani followed by making a diving catch in the left field corner, robbing Miguel Sano of an extra-base hit. Binghamton capped the inning by nabbing Pinto at the plate after Nate Hanson laced a double to the right-field alley.

Former Major League Nick Blackburn comfortably kept the B-Mets in check through five shutout innings. Binghamton sent just one over the minimum to the plate before breaking through in the sixth. Ceciliani started the rally by lining a double to right. He moved to third on a sac bunt and came home to tie the game on Danny Muno’s sac fly to right.

Ryan O’Rourke took over for Blackburn in the seventh and chipped in with two perfect innings. The southpaw struck out five in his Double-A debut.

Cohoon preserved the tie and posted three shutout innings from the fifth to the seventh, striking out five along the way. The Rock Cats broke the tie in the eighth against Cohoon. Daniel Ortiz started the rally by grounding a single to right. After a sac bunt, Danny Santana put runners on the corners on an infield single to short. Rosario punched a line-drive single into left, plating the go-ahead run.

Chasen Bradford took over for Cohoon and allowed one inherited runner to score on a RBI single by Josmil Pinto.

Bradford (1-1) earned his first Double-A victory thanks to Binghamton’s comeback in the ninth. Cohoon allowed three runs on eight hits over 7-1/3 innings in the no-decision. Hauser (3-2) suffered his second blown save of the year.

The B-Mets (60-36) continue their four-game series against the Rock Cats Friday night at 7:05 PM. LHP Darin Gorski takes the hill against RHP Virgil Vasquez.

(Courtesy: Binghamton Mets)

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.